utorak, 31. kolovoza 2010.

What is water anyway?

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/may/20-things-you-didn.t-know-about-water

The five facts that I found interesting were the following.
Firstly, I found the fact very interesting because there is apparently 332,500,000 cubic miles of water in the whole world, and not even a 1% of it is fresh.
Secondly, I liked how Iraq uses the NASA system of reducing water which helps them feed the people of Iraq due to the fact they really don't have any fresh water.
Thirdly, I think that the fact that the hairy legs get sunburned much easier than the shaved ones is quite useful and interesting because I always thought that the shaved legs get sunburnt much easier.
Also, when doctors announce that we should drink 8 glasses of water everyday, no one ever supported that advice. I don't think they should be annoucning things that they aren't sure about.
Lastly, without water our planet would look like Venus; hellish and inert.

Other facts about water:

1. Water is made up of tiny parts called atoms. - http://books.google.com/books?id=fsc92ZOgs2YC&printsec=frontcover&dq=what+is+water&source=bl&ots=YilvpM-gSQ&sig=UWuwkzvVZeRKSS3Bw8QzY46IqUU&hl=en&ei=yKR8TKXHE8nvOZ2aveoG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

2. Liquid water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius. - http://www.nyu.edu/pages/mathmol/textbook/slg.html

3. Water is a molecule that consists of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. - http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/WATER/wtrwhat.html

4. Another one of water's special properties is its ability to
dissolve many other substances. - http://www.aces.edu/crd/publications/wtrqlty/wq2.pdf

5. If water has a high mineral content, it is called "hard"
water. "Soft" water is water which has a very low mineral content. - http://www.aces.edu/crd/publications/wtrqlty/wq2.pdf

Broj komentara: 6:

  1. I agree with what you said about the doctors, and that they shouldn't say that, when they aren't sure. I think so too, it doesn't make sense to give people advice about health (even as a doctor), if you don't actually know what you are talking about.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I like the interesting facts you chose (both from 20 facts website and your own). I agree with you, I always thought shaved legs would burn faster. Doctors should not say things without support. More of the world should use the NASA system. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I also like that Iraq is using the NASA system to clean their water. I think this is a necessary thing to do in countries without a clean water supply because it will reduce the amounts of water related casualties by a great number.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. I also agree with your opinion about the doctor recommendation. Doctors should not falsely suggest something to people with no proof. This is an opinion that should be made into a fact in order for it to be a recommendation by a specialist in medicine.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Leda, I like that your information was taken from reputable internet resources. I think this adds a layer of trust to what you report to us.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. You need to take a little more care in how you develop your thoughts on each of the interesting facts found in the article. I understand what the facts are, but in many cases, I am still not sure why you chose those to report in your blog post.

    OdgovoriIzbriši